Gloucester St Nicholas, Gloucestershire Genealogy
|Gloucester St Nicholas, Gloucestershire|
|Poor Law Union||Gloucester|
|Parish registers: 1558; Separate registers exist for Gloucester St Mary Magdalene and St Margaret beginning 1790|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1616; Separate records exist for Gloucester St Mary Magdalene and St Margaret beginning 1813|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Gloucester St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Other places in the parish include: Gloucester College Precincts and Gloucester St Mary Magdalene and St Margaret. Independent/Congregational is the only identified non-Church of England denomination in Gloucester St Nicholas. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a non-Church of England denomination located somewhere in Gloucester, but the exact parish has not been identified. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Gloucester St Nicholas, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|DEAN = Forest of Dean Family History Trust - free|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk|
|GLOUCESTER ST NICHOLAS PARISH Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
References[edit | edit source]
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 18 July 2016. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.