Gissing, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Gissing, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Depwade|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GISSING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Depwade, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Diss. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Gissing St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich. A Norman round towered church.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Gissing 1837-1974
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Gissing, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gissing, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms, burials and marriages 1725-1812||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526814 Item 12
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp.294-298. Date accessed: 18 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.