Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records, 1647-1764
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Labes, Pomerania, Prussia, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of Labes, Pomerania, Prussia, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Parts of Pomerania are located in Germany and Poland. Labes is in Poland.|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Preußen, Pommern, Labes, Kirchenbüche|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains Catholic Church records containing births, marriages, and deaths for the parish of Labes in Pomerania, Prussia. The original records are in private possession. These records are in German. Labes is now modern Łobez, Szczecin, Poland. Pomerania is a historical region on the south shore of the Baltic Sea. The name Pomerania (Pommern in German) comes from Slavic po more, which means Land at the Sea
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in German. For help reading them see:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records, 1647-1756.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For more information about these records see Germany, Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
When searching, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Age and or residence
- An estimated event year
- A parent's name
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Event Type and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records, 1647-1764. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records
- Use the information in each record to find additional family members
- Repeat this process with additional family member’s records to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Germany Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that their may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Germany.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.