Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories, 1866-1919
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Dessau, Saxony- (Sachsen-) Anhalt, Prussia, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of Dessau, Saxony- (Sachsen-) Anhalt, Prussia, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|This locality is located in Germany.|
|Record Type||City Directories|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Anhalt, Dessau, Stadt-Verzeichnisse|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains city directories for Dessau, which is located in the modern state of Saxony- (Sachsen-) Anhalt. These city directories are generally arranged alphabetically by surname and by given name and provide the individual's occupation and address. Often included are classified directories of government offices and other institutions and services of public interest. Original directories are located in the Stadtarchiv Dessau.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in German. For help reading them see:
- Germany Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
- German Paleography Seminar=== Browse This Collection===
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories, 1866-1919.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Full name of ancestor
- Names of family members
- Name of spouse
- Address or residence
- Birth date and place
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
You can search the index or view the images. Before searching, it is best to know the following information:
- Name of the person
- Date of the record
As you search, look for a record which matches this information.
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Year to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Germany, Anhalt, Dessau, City Directories, 1866-1919. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Copy down all the information in the index entry
- Look at an image of the original record. The online index entry only lists the most basic information found in a record; the original may contain further information which was not included in the index. Save or print a copy of the image whenever possible
- Cite the index entry or record image. See below for help citing records in this collection
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Germany Record Finder to find other records
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision. If listed, a personal title may be a clue to property ownership or occupation, either of which might be noted in other records
- Try variations of given names and surnames. An individual might appear under a different name in a record for a variety of reasons:
- An individual might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Spelling was not standardized for much of the period of this collection, so names were often spelled as scribes heard them. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Some women returned to their maiden names after the death of their husbands
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of search results
- Search the records of nearby locations. While a person in this period rarely lived more than 20 miles from their place of birth, moves within this range were common
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Germany.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.