Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1575|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GAYTON-THORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 8 miles (N. W. by N.) from Swaffham. 
Gayton Thorpe St Mary is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
A Saxon round tower church with Norman upper stage.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Freebridge Lynn 1837 -1935
- Gayton 1935-1938
- King's Lynn 1939-1974
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1705-1706 Image 449
- 1705-1706 Image 450
- 1709-1710 Image 1134
- 1712-1713 Image 1147
- 1715 Image 1264
- 1723 Image 111
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1637, 1668-1812 Marriages 1600-1610, 1626-1637, 1670-1810 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1637, 1668-1811
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526742 Item 15
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 283-287. Date accessed: 18 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Gayton Thorpe', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.