Garsdon, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Garsdon, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Malmesbury|
|Parish registers: 1672|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1605|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GARSDON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wiltshire, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Malmesbury. It is also located 5½ miles WSW of Minety railway station.  
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Garsdon, Wiltshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|Garsdon, Wiltshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 279-282. Date accessed: 16 September 2013.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72)
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Search more than 99,000 new Wiltshire parish baptism records,' findmypast, accessed 5 June 2014. Coverage year range is not clearly identified.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.