Fresno California East Family History Center/Photo Scanners
Preparing to Use a Photo Scanner[edit | edit source]
When using the Kodak digital picture scanning system, the following is recommended:
- Prepare before coming to the Center. Remove photographs from albums and any sticky tabs if necessary. If older pictures are mounted on cardboard, they can be scanned separately on the flatbed.
- Pictures should be sorted by size and direction. They must be fed into the scanner in groups of the same size thus avoiding jamming the scanner. The photos are inserted into the scanner face-up with the top of the photo inserted upside down. After sorting by size, sort again by direction. In order to save time, it is best if portrait-oriented pictures are separated from landscape-oriented ones.
- Scanners are capable of scanning both sides of a photo or document. It is suggested that photos or documents with content on both sides be separated out into their own group.
- A flash drive is needed for storing the digitized images created. It is recommended that a flash drive be dedicated just for scanning documents and photos. Eight GB or larger of free space is suggested.
- Trained staff are available upon request.