Fredrika Parish, Västerbotten, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Fredrika Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
History[edit | edit source]
Fredrika parish was broken out on 25 November 1795 as a chaplain from Åsele parish. Fredrika parish became its own pastorate on May 7, 1799. The chapel was first called Viska but the name was changed on May 21, 1799 to Fredrika parish.
Fredrika parish and Åsele parish formed an economic church community in 1986, but the parishes continued to be two separate pastorates until 1 January 1999 when the parishes formed a joint pastorate (Åsele parish was the mother parish). Åsele-Fredrika church community documents are recorded in Åsele church archives.
Until 1868, the main part was part of Västerbotten County, but some areas belonged to Västernorrland County. On 28 November 1868, Svartsjö, Holmsjön, Stavberg and Trehörningsjö were transferred from the part in Västernorrland County to Anundsjö parish in the same county and Aspsele, Krokvattnet, Remmaren and Stavarsjön to Björna parish in Västernorrland county. Fredrika parish then belonged in its entirety to Västerbotten County.
Fredrika's oldest church books occupy the following homes and villages, which now belong to other congregations: Abborrtjärnliden, now in Örträsk; Aspsele, Krokvattnet, Remmarn, now in Björna; Bredträsk, Halvpundsjö, Holmsjö, Norrholmsjö, Nyland, Stennäs, Strömåker and Sörholmsjö, now in Bjurholm; Svartsjö and Trehörningen, now in Anundsjö.
|Fredrika Parish, Västerbotten, Sweden Genealogy|
|Stift||-1904 Härnösand, 1904- Luleå|
|Pastorat||1795-1799 chapel parish in Åsele, Bergvattnet's (Dorotea) and Viska (Fredrika) pastorate, 1799-1998 its own pastorate, 1999-2009 annex parish in Åsele and Fredrika pastorate, 2010 Åsele-Fredrika parish.|
|Tingslag||-1921 Åsele lappmarks, 1922-1947 Åsele, 1948-1970 Åsele and Vilhelmina|
|Domsaga||-1810 Ångermanlands, 1811-1820 Norra Ångermanlands, 1821-1831 Lappmarksjurisdiktionen, 1832-1883 Västerbottens södra, 1884-1970 Västerbottens västra, 1971- Lycksele tingsrätt|
|Fögderi||-1810 Södra lappmarks, 1810-1946 Västerbottens lappmarks|
|Kommun||1874-1973 Fredrika, 1974- Åsele|
|Militär indelning||add here|
|NAD Ref Code||SE/HLA/1010039|
|National Archive SVAR||link|
|SCB Congregation map||link|
|Open Street map||link|
Place Names[edit | edit source]
Abborrtjärnliden, Allskaliden, Aspsele
Flakaträsk, Flakaträsk i Lycksele (Flakaträsk in Lycksele) Gravsjö norra (Gravsjö north), Gravsjö södra (Gravsjö south), Grönåker
Halvpundsjö, Holmsele, Holmsjö norra (Holmsjö north), Holmsjö södra (Holmsjö south)
Långbäcken, Lögda, Lögdasund
Nordanås, Norrfors, Norr Gravsjön, Norr Holmsjön, Nyland, Orrberget
Stavasjö, Stavsberg, Stennäs, Stensjö, Strömåker, Svartsjö, Söder Gravsjö (South Gravsjö), Söder Holmsjö (South Holmsjö)
Tallsjö, Texnäs, Trehörningsjö
- Surrounding Parishes
Collections[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1840-1947, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Online Database Church Records[edit | edit source]
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Västerbotten Church Records, 1619-1896; index, 1688-1860 at FamilySearch.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden[edit | edit source]
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Click Sweden, Västerbotten Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Västerbotten" and then select your parish.
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Related Sources[edit | edit source]
Help Reading Swedish Records[edit | edit source]
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Online Lessons - Reading Scandinavian Handwriting:
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
For history, refer to Riksarkivet Fredrika Kyrkoarkiv under "Visa historik för Fredrika kyrkoarkiv".
Fredrika parish, Husförhörslängd, 1843-1852, Ort register.