|France Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning France genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The following are some helpful periodicals for France:
- Acadian Genealogy Exchange 1972-. Published by Janet Jehn, Acadian Genealogy Exchange, 863 Wayman Branch Road, Covington, Kentucky 41015 USA. Family History Library book 973 B2aca; not available on microfilm. Text in English. It includes Acadian/Cajun families in Canada, Louisiana, and anywhere else in the world.
- Bulletin de la Société de l'Histoire du Protestantisme Français (Bulletin of the Society for the History of French Protestantism). 1852-. Published by the Society for the History of French Protestantism [Société de l'histoire du Protestantisme Français] 54, rue des Saints- Pères, 75007 Paris, France. Family History Library book 944 B2sp, Volume 1-115; film 885700-729 and 885753-758.
- Cahiers du Centre de Généalogie Protestante (Notices of the Center for Protestant Genealogy)' 1978-. Published by the Society for the History of French Protestantism [Société de l'histoire du Protestantisme Français] 54, rue des Saints- Pères, 75007 Paris, France. Family History Library book 944 F25c; not available on microfilm.
- Cercle de Généalogie Juive (Jewish Genealogical Society) 1985-. Published by the Cercle de Généalogie Juive, Centre Edmond Fleg, 8bis rue de l'Eperon, 75006 Paris, France. Family History Library book 944 D25b; not available on microfilm.
- Gé[néalogie] Magazine (Genealogy Magazine) 1982-. Published by Editions Christian, 5, rue Alphonse Baudin, 75011 Paris, France. Family History Library book 944 D25gm; not available on microfilm.
- Héraldique et généalogie (Heraldry and genealogy) 1969-. Published by Héraldique et Généalogie, B.P. 526, 78005 Versailles Cedex, France. Family History Library book 944 B2h; fiche 6312504.
- Je me souviens (I remember) 1978-. Published by American French Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2113, Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02861 USA. Family History Library book 973 F25am; not available on microfilm. Text in English. Indexes available through Summer 1985.
- La revue française de généalogie (French Genealogical Review) 1979-. Published by La Revue, 12, rue Raymond-Poincaré, 55800 Revigny, France. Family History Library book 944 D25r; not available on microfilm.
- Les Voyageurs (The voyagers) 1980-. German- Acadian Coast Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 517, Destrahan, Louisiana, USA 70047 USA. Family History Library book 976.33 D25L; fiche 6088746-753. Text in English.
- Lifelines 1984-. Published by Northern New York American Canadian Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1256, Plattsburgh, New York, NY, USA 12901 USA. Family History Library book 974.7 D25L; not available on microfilm. Text in English.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990). Partially indexes over 5,000 family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. France periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: France-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.
Also see the "Societies" section.