Fort Defiance Indian Agency
United States Indigenous Peoples of the US Arizona, United States Genealogy New Mexico, United States Genealogy Indigenous Peoples of Arizona Indigenous Peoples of New Mexico Fort Defiance Indian Agency Guide to Fort Defiance Indian Agency ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
The Fort Defiance Agency is one of five currently operating administrative jurisdictions of the Bureau of Indian Affairs for the Navajo Reservation. Its supervising office is the Navajo Area Office. A map of the roads on the Navajo Reservation, created in 2008, is available online.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Fort Defiance Agency is another name for the historical Navajo Agency, as that agency was located at Fort Defiance, Arizona. This agency was also known for a time during the mid-1950s as the Southern Navajo Agency.
Records[edit | edit source]
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
See listings and cross-references under Navajo Agency.
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online