Florida Bible Records
|Florida Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has an index of over 40,000 digitized family Bible records and each day more records are digitized and added to the Index.
- Index to Early Bible Records provides a free index to over 17,000 online and offline pre-1830 Bible records.
Florida Bible Records[edit | edit source]
A family Bible is a designation given to a Bible which has family information recorded on pages within the book. This has been a tradition among many families.
A family Bible is a good source of information about immediate family members and relatives, including names of parents, children, their spouses as well as their dates of birth, marriage and death. This is a valuable resource because, if the information is recorded as the event occurs, the information is regarded as being reliable. Also, for some families, Bible records may have the only recorded vital statistics information.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Generally, family Bibles are passed down to succeeding generations. Those that are no longer in possession of the family may be at a historical society, a genealogical society, a public library, or university library. Sometimes the Bible was given to a society or library where the ancestor lived, but sometimes it was given to a society or library where the descendant who had the Bible lived.
DAR Bible Collections[edit | edit source]
- The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection contains some Bible records. This collection is described in the Florida "Genealogy" article.
- Some additional Bible transcripts are found at the DAR Library in Washington, D.C. and at the Family History Library on films 850399-404 and 907982.
- The DAR Bible records are partially indexed by E. Kay Kirkham, An Index to Some Family Records of the Southern States, (Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1979; Family History Library book 973 D22kk v. 1; fiche 6089183). This links to a copy the book on the Internet.