Florida, Tampa, Passenger Lists - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Florida, Tampa Passenger Lists, 1898-1945
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida, |
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1896-1908 (45 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Passenger Lists|
|Record Group||RG 85: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service|
|Microfilm Publication||M1844. Passenger Lists of vessels Arrivingat Tampa, Florida, November2, 1898-December 31, 1945. 65 rolls.|
|Arrangement||By date of arrival|
|National Archives Identifier||4335345|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of lists for those arriving in Tampa, Florida. It corresponds to NARA Publication M1844: Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Tampa, Florida, November 2, 1898 - December 30, 1945.
There are two gaps in these records: December 21, 1902-September 2, 1904 and May 1, 1915-November 30, 1915.
Passenger arrival lists known as customs manifests date back to 1820. Congressional action in 1891 resulted in federal immigration officials recording the immigrants’ arrival. Arrival lists were used by legal authorities to gather personal information about immigrants prior to the person being allowed to live in the United States. The information was supplied by the immigrant or a traveling companion (usually a family member). Incorrect information was occasionally given, or mistakes may have been made when the clerk guessed at the spelling of foreign names.
The passenger lists are digital copies of the original records. The earliest records are handwritten pages. Later records are usually handwritten on pre-printed pages. The records are arranged by the date of entry into port.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Florida, Tampa Passenger Lists, 1898-1945.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Passenger lists prior to 1906
- Date of arrival
- Port of embarkation
- Name of ship
- Age, gender, marital status and occupation
- Height, hair color and eye color
- Nationality or citizenship in what country
- Last residence
- Name and address of relative or friend at former address
- Name and address of relative or friend in this country
- Port and date of entry
- Name of ship
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching the collection, it is helpful to know:
- The full name of your ancestor
- The age of your ancestor
- The approximate date of immigration
If you do not know this information, check the census records after 1900.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the NARA Roll Number - Contents to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Florida, Tampa Passenger Lists, 1898-1945. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor on a passenger list, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, or ship’s manifests
- If your ancestor had a common name, be sure to look at all the entries for a name before you decide which is correct
- Continue to search the passenger lists to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who may have immigrated at the same time
- If your ancestor has an uncommon surname, you may want to obtain the passenger list of every person who shares your ancestor’s surname if they lived in the same county or nearby. You may not know how or if they are related, but the information could lead you to more information about your own ancestors
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Florida.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Beginning Research in United States Immigration and Emigration Records
- Searching Passenger Lists
- Florida Guided Research
- Florida Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Passenger lists of vessels arriving at Tampa, Florida, November 2, 1898 - December 31, 1945 : NARA RG 85 publication M1844
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying you sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.