Felton, Northumberland Genealogy
Guide to Felton, Northumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Michael and All Angels Church Felton Northumberland
|County||Northumberland, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Alnwick|
|Registration District||Alnwick; Morpeth|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1765|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
'Italic text'Italic text'
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ACTON, with Old Felton, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (S.) from Alnwick.
Felton St Michael and All Angels is a parish that includes: Acton and Old Felton, Bockenfield, Elyhaugh, Eshott, Felton, Greens and Glantlees, Swarland, and Thirston East and West with Shothaugh.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Felton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Felton Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Northumberland Archives.
Nonconformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1920 England, Northumberland Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1920 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Felton Park, St. Mary (Roman Catholic): - Records of baptisms 1792-1858 are available at Northumberland Collections Service. The International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.) includes births/baptisms 1792-1840.
- The Felton and Swarland Local History Society have published a Presbyterian Baptisms Index for Felton 1880-1993.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Northumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 17 December 2013.
- Searching Parish Records online (Northumberland) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 23 April 2019.
Add any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.