Felsham, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Felsham, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Suffolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Stow|
|Parish registers: 1656|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1568|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Norwich; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Archives and Libraries|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
FELSHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Stow, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Woolpit. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centres. Refer to and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalogue for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Felsham, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Felsham, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
- Parish Registers began in the 1500's. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. There are Bishop Transcripts and Parish Registers that have been filmed for most parishes in the County. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.
- Transcription of Parish Records for Felsham, Suffolk: Baptisms 1835-1841
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 228-230. Date accessed: 25 September 2013.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911', Find My Past, accessed 5 January 2016.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 4 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.