Fawkham, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Fawkham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Fawkham St Mary Kent
|Hundred||Axton, Dartford and Wilmington|
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Dartford|
|Parish registers: 1568|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
FAWKHAM, or Facombe (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 6 miles SE by S from Dartford. 
Fawkham is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks district of Kent, see Fawkham Wikipedia
Fawkham St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Rochester which is the church of the the parish of Fawkham and Hartley, Kent Genealogy, which is also a united benefice.
Fawkham St Mary, Fawkham Road, Fawkham, has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed Building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Fawkham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Fawkham Online Parish Records|
|KOPC||1568-1983||1569-1749, 1755, 1813-1954||1568-1980|
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK.
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 220-225. Date accessed: 1 Aug 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.