FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Czech Archives Part 2
Purpose[edit | edit source]
Identify the correct archive for all localities not found yet in the Czech Gazetteer Spreadsheet.
Project Leader[edit | edit source]
Task List[edit | edit source]
Project Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Before you begin: You will need to create a free account if you haven't used GenTeam before.
- This works best if you use Google Chrome because it will translate the archive sites when you click through to them.
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Part 1: Select a Google Sheet and Sort Data[edit | edit source]
1. Choose a letter sheet (A-Z) at the bottom of the task list.
2. Highlight the entire sheet by clicking the little rectangle to the top left of the sheet.
3. Click the data menu.
4. Select sort range
5. Go to sort by and select column J and select A-Z.
6. Click sort
7. Scroll to the bottom of the sheet where you will find any blank spaces in the archive column (J).
4. When you find a line where the archive is blank, check the notes column (K) to see if the archive is listed. If an archive is listed, move from the notes column (K) to the archive column (J). The notes column (K) may say someting like "this locality is not on either sheet". This means it wasn't found in the last phase of the project. You will be deleting this at the last step of these intructions or update it if you do not find the locality.
5. If no archive is listed in the notes column, try the Bohemian Gazetteer and Moravian Gazetteer from part two of the project in case they were missed. If you have questions about how to use these gazetteers, you can find instructions on the FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Czech Republic Archives page.
6. You may find that the locality (C) in the Google sheet is in one of the PDFs, but the parish (G) and/or judicial district (I) do not match. In this case:
- Make a note of the line you are on.
- Search the sheet for the name of the locality (C), looking for a locality (C) that matches the parish (G) and judicial district (I). If it's already in the sheet, go back to the line you were on and delete it.
- IF it's not already in the sheet, go back to the line you were on and correct the parish (G) and judicial district (I) and put the correct name of the archive in the archive column (J).
6. If found, add the name of the archive to the archive column and go back to step one.
7. If not found in the PDF gazetteer, try searching GenTeam for the locality. Go to Part 2: Locating the archive in GenTeam.
Part 2: Locating the Archive in GenTeam[edit | edit source]
1. Click Gazetteer on the menu to the far left.
2. Enter in the name of the locality in the place field.
3. Leave the crown land field blank.
4. If locality is found, you will see a list of search results. If there is more than one locality with the same name, compare the parish name in GenTeam with the parish name in the Google Sheet.
5. Click in the "details" column for the locality that matches.
6. Towards the bottom and right of the detail view, for the locality, you will see a heading that says "respective archives". Click the link to the archive. The name of the archive in GenTeam is the German name. We need the name in English or Czech, which can be retrieved from the archive's site.
7. Google Translate will pop up, offering to translate the page from Czech to English. Click English.
8. Once the page is translated. You will be able to find the name of the archive on that page. It will say something like "State Archive in Zamrsk". You may need to look for the address in small print off to the side or bottom of the page to find it. It's important to note that there are two archives in Prague. One is the state archive and the other is the city archive.
9. Enter the archive name and in the archive column (J) and go back to step 1.
10. If not found, go to Part 3: Locating the Archive in Wikipedia.
Part 3: Locating the Archive in Wikipedia[edit | edit source]
1. If not found, try Wikipedia, using the locality name with Czech Republic or Czechia.
2. If found in Wikipedia, look at the district in the sidebar on the right. Compare the district with the judicial district on the sheet (I). If they match, go to step 10. If they don't match, copy and paste the name of the district in Wikipedia into the judicial district column (I) on the sheet.
3. If not found mark the line, so we know additional searching is needed. Go to Part 4: Marking Localities for Additional Searching for instructions.
4. If found, make a note of the line you are on the sheet.
5. Using control F, search the Google sheet for the name of the district found in Wikipedia.
6. Once found, look at the archive column for that district.
7. Copy the name of the archive.
8. Return to the line you were on and paste the archive in the archive column.
9. If the notes columnn (K) says something like "not found in either PDF", delete it. 10. Return to Par 1.
Part 4: Marking Localities for Additional Searching[edit | edit source]
1. Highlight the line you want to mark red by clicking the number of the line on the left.
2. Click the paint bucket and select red.
3. Type in "not found in PDF gazetteers, GenTeam or Wikipedia" in the notes column (K)