FamilySearch Wiki:Categorizing Files
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Why[edit | edit source]
Searching for files is much easier when they are categorized.
How[edit | edit source]
- 1. Go to the following page Uncategorized files Sign in, set the number of files for 20 or 50. Go to the letter you are doing and click on a file to categorize.
- 2. Study the title of the file, the title of any pages linked to the file and any background information.
- 3. Select a category to search and place that Category: in the search box of the page and search (example Category:Missouri)
- 4. If that category comes up copy it, open edit on the file and go to wikitext. Go to the bottom of the page and place the category between [[ ]]. Then save the page.
- 5. If that category does not come up but there is one that is very close, use it. If not bring the file to the group to assist. New category can be created but we don't want duplicates.
Tips:[edit | edit source]
- 1. User pictures are under Category:Portraits
- 2. Put in lowest categorized location.
- 3. Many files pdf will be under Category:FamilySearch Indexing
- 4. On duplicates put duplicate and delete templates inside or those that need to be deleted.
- 5. If the title has no location name, there is no links to page and no clues in background material you do not have to categorize.
- Also look at Maintenance Templates for other templates to use.