Exning, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Exning, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newmarket|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1566|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Norwich; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
EXNING (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Lackford, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N. W.) from Newmarket. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centres. Refer to and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalogue for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Exning St Martin parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Exning St Martin Parish Online Records|
Parish Registers began in the 1500's. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. There are Bishop Transcripts and Parish Registers that have been filmed for most parishes in the County. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.
| This section requires expansion with:
Information about parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, parish chest records, non conformist and other types of church records. Also add links to online parish collections. Make reference to records found in the FamilySearch Catalog. To locate resources, look at Suffolk Parishes in the FamilySearch Catalogue.
Exning St Agnes parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Exning St Agnes Parish Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 195-206. Date accessed: 25 September 2013.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Suffolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 December 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 December 2013.
- 'Suffolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 3 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.