Erith, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Erith, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Erith St John the Baptist Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Dartford|
|Parish registers: 1625|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ERITH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Lessness, lathe of Sutton-At-Hone, W division of Kent, 2¼ miles N from Crayford. 
Erith is a district in the London Borough of Bexley see Erith Wikipedia which contains a list of places of worship.
Erith St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish which included Lessness-Heath, Picardy, Northumberland-Heath and Beadonwell; the parish church of St John the Baptist has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
From this parish were formed:
Belvedere All Saints Nuxley Road
Christ Church Kent Churches website
The Baptist church at Lessness Heath dates from 1805.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Erith parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS BTs = England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Erith Online Parish Records|
|AC||1813-1906||1813-1906||1798-1837, 1870-1921||1798-1837, 1870-1921||1813-1879||1813-1879|
|BIVRI||1718-1766 (gaps)||1719-1766 (gaps)|
International Genealogical Index Batch Numbers
- Christenings 1798-1830 (72% only); 1831-1846; 1867-1875 Batch (C067821)
- Marriages 1799-1830 (72%); 1831-1837 Batch (M067821)
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK.
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 181-186. Date accessed: 25 July 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Eltham St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough and incorrectly as Woolwich St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Eltham St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough and incorrectly as Woolwich St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.