Erbistock, Wrexham, Wales Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

St. Hilary's Parish Church

Erbistock (Welsh: Erbistog) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish on the banks of the River Dee in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales Genealogy in Wales. It lies between Ruabon and Overton.

Erbistock was one of the ancient parishes of the county of Denbighshire but, owing to a change in course of the river Dee, a small part lay in the detached part of the county of Flintshire.

It was a small parish, in both area and population and contained no townships.

History[edit | edit source]


A parish church dedicated to Saint Erbin was mentioned as far back as the 13th century but the present church, dedicated to Saint Hilary, was constructed in 1860.

Wrexham historian Alfred Neobard Palmer suggested that the name derives from "Erbin's stoke" meaning Erbin's stockaded ford.

The village became important as a crossing point on the River Dee, near the 17th century red sandstone Boat Inn. The inn takes its name from the hand-operated chain ferry which once crossed the river at this point, with remnants of the pull mechanism still existing nearby.

The village and its surrounding area have been defined as the Erbistock Village and Conservation Area by Wrexham county borough council. It includes Erbistock Hall (Grade II listed), Erbistock Mill, St Hilary's Church (Grade II listed), The Boat Inn (Grade II listed), The Old Rectory and Rose Hill (Grade II listed).

Erbistock Parish
County bef 1974 add here
County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996 add here
County 1 Apr 1996 - add here
Civ Reg District Wrexham (1881)
Reg Sub-district Ruabon (1881)
Probate Court add here
Diocese add here
Rural Deanery add here
Chapelry add here
Poor Law Union Wrexham
Hundred Bromfield
Province add here
Hamlets add here

Administration[edit | edit source]

Years County
pre 1536 Powys Fadog
1536 - 31 March 1974 Denbighshire and Flintshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Wrexham

Records[edit | edit source]

Civil Records[edit | edit source]

The Registry Office for the parishes of Ruabon and Erbistock was in High Street, Ruabon.

Births, marriages and deaths in Erbistock are recorded in the GRO indexes as:

Years Sub-district District Volumes
1 Jul 1837 - 1974 Ruabon Wrexham XXVII (1837-51)
11b (1852-1946)
8A (1946-74)

Church Records[edit | edit source]

  • The following Erbistock Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin:
Baptisms 1680 - 1918
Marriages 1679 - 1970
Burials 1679 - 1991

Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]

The following chapel records from Erbistock are available on the IGI:

Chapel Years Batch
Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Erbistock 1814-1837 C101731

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.

The parish of Erbistock formed part of the Ruabon sub-district of the Wrexham Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841 missing
1851 HO107/2503 folios 1 - 14
1861 RG9/4280 folios 1 - 8
1871 RG10/5652 folios 2 - 16
1881 RG11/5512 folios 1 - 10
1891 RG12/4612 folios 1 - 7
1901 RG13/5216 folios 1 - 10

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Poor Law Union[edit | edit source]

The parish of Erbistock was part of the Wrexham Union, which was created on 30 March 1837.

A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham.

The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Websites[edit | edit source]