|England Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning England genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The following are some helpful periodicals for England:
- Ancestors Published by The National Archives Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU England Ancestors Magazine
- Family History 1962–. Published by the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, Northgate, Canterbury, Kent CT1 1BA, England. FHL book 942 B2f. This journal includes informative articles on heraldry, genealogy, and family history, and contains notices of books for sale and courses offered by the Institute.
- Family History Monthly Published by Diamond Publishing, 140 Wales Farm Road, London W3 6UG Family History Monthly
- Family Tree Magazine 1984–. Published by ABM Publishing, 61 Great Whyte, Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE26 1HJ England. FHL book 942 D25f. Features of this journal include informative articles, book reviews, advertisements, a question and answer column, and much more. Family Tree Magazine
- The Genealogists’ Magazine 1925–. Published by the Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, London EC1M 7BA, England. FHL book 942 B2gm. This journal features scholarly articles about records, book reviews, and information concerning the genealogical world. Each issue is indexed.
- Practical Family History Published by ABM Publishing, 61 Great Whyte, Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE26 1HJ England. Practical Family History
- Who Do You Think You Are? Published by BBC Magazines Bristol Ltd, Tower House, Fairfax Street, Bristol BS1 3BN Who Do You Think you Are? Magazine
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. England periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: England-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.