England and Wales Nonconformist Record Indexes (RGA 4-8) ,1588-1977 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|England and Wales|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Wales|
|Record Type||Nonconformist Record Indexes|
|Public Record Office|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection will include records from 1588 to 1977.
The following religious groups are considered nonconformist groups:
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
Nonconformist Record Indexes may contain the following information:
- Given names (also known as “forenames”)
- Year of event
- Type of event (birth, marriage or burial)
- Place of event
- Record group (RG 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) view full details of a transcript or page image
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Records[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search through these records, it is helpful to know:
- Name of person the person you are looking for
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England and Wales Non-conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If possible, look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use any date to locate the event in civil records
- Use the names of parents or other relatives to locate the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- Search the records of nearby areas
- Check for other names. An individual might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Search in parish registers. The individual may have been christened or married in the Church of England
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in England.
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Wales.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.