England Family Histories
- 1 Family Histories
- 2 What You Are Looking For
- 3 These 2 steps will help you find a family history
- 4 England Archives and Libraries
Family Histories[edit | edit source]
A family history is a record of a specific family line or of a particular surname. Family histories are considered compiled sources. Use a family history to gain information compiled by other people about your family. Determining what research has already been done by others, including your own family members, can:
- Save you valuable research time.
- Help you find information in original records more quickly.
- Help you avoid unnecessary duplication of work.
- Provide clues for further research.
What You Are Looking For[edit | edit source]
A family history which may give information about your ancestors. The information you will find varies from record to record. These records may include:
- Names of children, spouse, parents, siblings, and other family members.
- Birth or baptism, marriage, and death or burial information. See England Civil Registration
- Dates of other important events such as immigration or land purchases. See England Emigration and Immigration and England Land and Property
- Age at the time of dated events.
- Place or street of residence.
- Occupations. See England Occupations
- Schools attended. England Schools
- Military service. SeeEngland Military Records
- Religious affiliations.See England Church Records
- Countries, counties, or places of origin. See Browse by Country
- Other biographical data.See [[
These 2 steps will help you find a family history[edit | edit source]
- Choose a surname.
By looking for information on a specific surname, you can find histories for your family and related families. Family histories are usually listed by the surname of the family in library catalogs, on FamilySearch and other genealogical search sites..
England, How to Find Family Histories[edit | edit source]
Search for a family history.
You can find family histories through:
- Contacting relatives.
- Internet Sources.
- Family History Centers.
- Family History Library.
- England Archives and Libraries.
- England Societies (family history, county, regional, and national).
Where to Find It[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service
- FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service
Many family histories are available on the Internet. You can search for family histories through FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service. FamilySearch can search online records and other web sites to see if they contain the information you want. To look for family histories through FamilySearch Internet, use family-trees FamilySearch Catalog
- Surname Search or go to Browse Catagories, FamilySearch Catalog Surnames Search.
The following are examples of other websites that can be searched by surname:
Links to Websites
Many websites do not provide names and dates, but link to sites that do. Examples of these are:
- GENUKI (Genealogy in the United Kingdom and Ireland).
- British Isles GenWeb.
- British Isle Genealogy
- Genealogy SiteFinder.
Family History Centers
A Family History Center may have some family histories. Family History Centers can also borrow
microfilms and microfiche of family histories from the Family History Library. There is a small fee to have a microfilm or microfiche loaned to a Family History Center. Family History Centers are located throughout the United States and other areas of the world. For the address of the Family History Center nearest you, see Family History Centers.
The Family History Library has one of the largest collections of family histories in the world. There is no fee for using the library's collection in person.
=== Sources for Previous Research in the British Isles is a publication that lists and discusses other compiled sources available in the Family History Library. Some of these sources are available in other archives and libraries. If a family history is not available on microfilm, you may request a photocopy from the Family History Library for a small fee. You will need to fill out a Request for Photocopies form, which is available at Family History Centers. Complete the form with the library call number for the source. Send the form and the fee to the Family History Library. Note that many published sources are copyrighted and cannot be photocopied in their entirety. See Family History Library Services and Resources for information about contacting or visiting the library.
Family histories are available in archives and libraries throughout the world. Some major archives and libraries are:
England[edit | edit source]
- The British Library.
- The Family Records Centre. Links to Family Records Centre do not seem to function so see UKBMD
- County record offices.
- Public Record Office.
Australia and New Zealand[edit | edit source]
- National Archives of Australia.
- National Archives of New Zealand.
- National Library of New Zealand (Alexander Turnbull Library).
United States and Canada[edit | edit source]
- The Newberry Library.
- The Library of Congress.
- The New England Historic and Genealogical Society Library.
- The National Archives of Canada.
- The United States National Archives, regional branches throughout the U.S.
Addresses for archives and libraries can be found at The UK National Archives and look for library catalogs online.
Family history and genealogical societies extract and index many records and have collections of research done by their members and others. There are family history societies in each county in England. Many provide marriage indexes and publish journals and periodicals that include compiled research to help you find your ancestor.
The Federation of Family History Societies provides coordination between these county societies and lists addresses for each. The Federation also provides publications concerning research and records that are available for purchase and may be found in some libraries. Examples of these are:
- Specialist Indexes for Family Historians.
- [County:] A Genealogical Bibliography.
- Marriage and Census Indexes for Family Historians.
- Society of Genealogists Library
- Family History and Historical Societies in Australia
- England, Local Histories, Record Societies (National Institute)
- Australia Societies
- Canada Societies
- New Zealand Societies
- United States Societies
- England Societies
Other societies you may wish to contact are:[edit | edit source]
For more information on searching for family histories and other compiled sources, see the Society of Genealogist's Has It Been Done Before?