England, Kent, Register of Electors - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Flag of Kent|
|Location of Kent, England|
|Location of England|
|Record Type||Register of Electors|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of Register of Electors for the county of Kent. This collection also contains a few militia muster rolls for Faversham. Availability of records varies by year and locality.
Electoral rolls have been published annually since 1928. Most electoral rolls list everyone over 18 in a household.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907.|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Register of Electors generally contain the following information:
- Name of Proprietor
- Name of Occupier
- Date of registration
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of voter
- Place of residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Division
- Select Record Type to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at England, Kent, Register of Electors, 1570-1907. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- As with census records, electoral rolls can determine residences of adults and when someone arrives at a residence or moves away from it
- Apprenticeship records may include the name of a parent. If this information is found, try to find the family in a census or through birth records
- Burgess rolls also indicate residence. This can lead you to civil or church records for birth, marriage, and burial
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Search the records of nearby localities
- Essex to the north
- London and Surrey to the west
- East Sussex to the south
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Kent.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.