Emmington, Oxfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Emmington, Oxfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Oxfordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Thame|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1684|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford|
|Location of Archive|
|Oxfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
EMMINGTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Thame, hundred of Lewknor, county of Oxford, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Thame. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Emmington, Oxfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|EMMINGTON PARISH Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Oxfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 173-177. Date accessed: 19 September 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county', Origins.net (Wayback Machine), accessed 21 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Oxford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 16 January 2014.
- 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 21 January 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library. Date range is unclear.