Eltham St John the Baptist, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Eltham St John the Baptist, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Eltham St John the Baptist, Kent|
Eltham St John the Baptist Kent
|Poor Law Union||Lewisham|
|Parish registers: 1583|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1719|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ELTHAM, a parish, in the union of Lewisham, hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-At-Hone, W division of Kent, 8½ miles SE by S from London.
Eltham is a district in the London Borough of Greenwich Eltham Wikipedia
Eltham St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish and market Town which included Mottingham within the parish boundary.
Eltham was a civil parish of Kent until 1889 when it became part of the County of London and from 1900 formed part of the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich. The metropolitan borough was abolished in 1965 and Eltham then became part of the present-day London Borough of Greenwich.
There has been a succession of churches on the site of the present church.
The church was rebuilt in 1668 after the 1667 collapse of the nave during building work to create a vault. That church was demolished and between 1872 and 1879 the present church was built and dedicated on the feast of St John the Baptist 24 June 1880.
The church of St John the Baptist has been designated as a grade C listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Mottingham is within Bromley Registration district
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Eltham St John the Baptist parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS BTs = England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Eltham St John the Baptist Online Parish Records|
|AC||1813-1906||1813-1906||1798-1837, 1870-1921||1798-1837, 1870-1921||1813-1879||1813-1879|
|BIVRI||1718-1766 (gaps)||1719-1766 (gaps)|
International Genealogical Index Batch Numbers
- Christenings 1798-1830 (72% only); 1831-1846; 1867-1875 Batch (C067821)
- Marriages 1799-1830 (72%); 1831-1837 Batch (M067821)
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 167-173. Date accessed: 25 2013
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Eltham St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough and incorrectly as Woolwich St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Eltham St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough and incorrectly as Woolwich St John the Baptist in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.