Eccleshall, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Eccleshall, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stone|
|Registration District||Newcastle under Lyme; Stone|
|Parish registers: 1573|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1659|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Eccleshall|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ECCLESHALL (Holy Trinity), a town and parish, in the union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford; comprising the townships of Aspley, Bromley, Broughton, Charnes,Chatcull, Chorlton, Chorlton-Hill, Coldmeece, Cotes, Croxton, Eccleshall, Horsley, Millmeece, Pershall, Podmore, Slindon, Sugnall Magna and Parva, and Three-Farms, Walton, and Wootton, 7¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Stafford, and 149 (N. W.) from London. At Broughton, Chorlton, Croxton, and Cotes-Heath are additional churches; and there is a place of worship for Independents.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Eccleshall Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6|
|GOOG = Google Books - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ECCLESHALL PARISH (1558) Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Eccleshall, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 136-139. Date accessed: 22 October 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 May 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8