East Malling, Kent Genealogy
Guide to East Malling, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Malling, Kent|
East Malling St James the Great Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Malling|
|Parish registers: 1570|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MALLING, EAST (St. James), a parish, in the union of Malling, hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4¾ miles WNW from Maidstone. 
East Malling and Larkfield is a civil parish in the Tonbridge and Malling district of Kent East Malling and Larkfield Wikipedia and contains two ecclesiastical parishes.
East Malling St James is an Ancient Parish which included the hamlet of Larkfield (formerly known as new Hythe).
The parish church of St James, The Grange, East Malling has been designated as grade I listed building British listed building
Larkfield Holy Trinity which dates from 1854 and served initially as a chapel of ease to East Malling St James.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
This parish was from 1837 in the Malling registration district
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
East Malling parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|East Malling Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1570-1899||1570-1756, 1813-1875; 1754-1814||1570-1876|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for East Malling are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK.
Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 216-221. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.