East Lexham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to East Lexham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Lexham, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LEXHAM, EAST (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Swaffham. 
East Lexham St Andrew is an Ancient parish in Brisley deanery of the Diocese of Norwich. A round towered church.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
East Lexham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|East Lexham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 227
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Norfolk Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogys
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: East Lexham on GenUKI
- East Lexham St Andrew on A Church Near You
- East lexham Post mill history and images
- Stained glass of the church
- Lexham St Andrew East on Round Tower Churches
- East Lexham on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 78-85. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 22 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/East Lexham', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.