East Horndon, Essex Genealogy
Guide to East Horndon, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Horndon, Essex|
All Saints, East Horndon, Essex
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Billericay|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
East Horndon or Horndon, East (All Saints), is a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, southern division of Essex, it is 3 miles SE from Brentwood.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
East Horndon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|East Horndon Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Roman Catholic
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
East Horndon on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England Wales, (London &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Edinburgh 1870) Adapted: Date Accessed 17 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 4 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.