East Ham, Essex Genealogy
Guide to East Ham, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Ham, Essex|
East Ham - Church of St Mary Magdalene
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||West Ham|
|Registration District||West Ham|
|Parish registers: 1696|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
East Ham also known as Ham, East (St. Mary Magdalene), is a parish, in the union of West Ham, the hundred of Becontree, southern division of Essex, it is 6 miles E from London. There is a Lady chapel as well as a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
East Ham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|East Ham Online Parish Records|
- St Mary Magdalene, High St South
Baptisms 1701-1960, Marriages 1696-1982, Burials 1700-1960: ERO
Baptisms 1960- date, Marriages 1982- date, Burials 1960-1975: Not deposited
Monumental Inscriptions: EoLFHS Publications
- St Andrew, Roman Rd, Beckton
Baptisms 1934-1952, Marriages 1946-1952: ERO
- St Bartholomew, Barking Rd
Baptisms 1945-1952, Marriages 1903-1977: ERO
Baptisms 1952- date, Marriages 1977- date: Not deposited
- St George and St Ethelbert, Burford Rd
Baptisms 1923-1955, Marriages 1924-1967: ERO
Baptisms 1955- date, Marriages 1967- date: Not deposited
- St John the Baptist, High Street North
Marriages 1871-1902: ERO
- St Michael and All Angels, Beckton Rd, Beckton
Baptisms 1909-1941, Marriages 1924-1941: ERO
- St Paul, Burges Rd
Baptisms 1924- date, Marriages 1925- date: Not deposited
- St Michael, (Roman Catholic), Tilbury Rd, Formed 1926
- Primitive Methodist Chapel, High St. South
Marriages 1913-1940: ERO
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Abbotts Park
Baptisms 1893-1904: ERO
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Lady Chapel
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
East Ham on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England Wales, (1870) Adapted: Date Accessed 17 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.