Downham Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogy
Parishes[edit | edit source]
The union consisted of the following parishes: Barton Bendish St Andrew, Norfolk, Barton Bendish St Mary and All Saints, Norfolk Bexwell, Norfolk, Boughton, Norfolk, Crimplesham, Norfolk, Denver, Norfolk, West Dereham, Norfolk, Downham Market, Norfolk, Fincham Fincham, Norfolk, Fordham, Norfolk, Hilgay, Norfolk, Holme next Runcton see Runcton Holme , Marham, Norfolk, Roxham see Ryston with Roxham, Norfolk, Runcton parishes North Runcton with Hardwicke and Setchey , Norfolk,
Runcton Holme with South Runcton, Wallington and Thorpeland Norfolk Ryston with Roxham, Norfolk, Shouldham, Norfolk, Shouldham Thorpe, Norfolk, Southery, Norfolk, Stoke Ferry, Norfolk, Stow Bardolph, Norfolk, Stradsett, Norfolk, Tottenhill, Norfolk, Wallington with Thorpland see Runcton Holme with South Runcton, Wallington and Thorpeland Norfolk, Watlington, Norfolk, Welney, Cambridgeshire, Welney, Wereham, Norfolk, Wiggenhall St Germans, Norfolk, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Norfolk, Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk, Wiggenhall St Peter, Norfolk, Wimbotsham, Norfolk, Wormegay, Norfolk, Wretton, Norfolk.
Records[edit | edit source]
Norfolk Record Office reference C/GP 5
Title Records of the Downham Poor Law Union
Extent 116 pieces
Downham Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was built at Downham in 1836. Downham Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 9 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP5/1-6, 103, 106-108 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of this body (including administration of Downham Public Assistance Institution, out-relief and boarding-out of children), see C/GC 9.
Websites[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Downham/Downham.shtml