Docking Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
The earliest workhouse provision was that at Dersingham formed from neighbouring cottages
Under the Gilbert act in 1783 a workhouse was established at South Creake, Norfolk. See parish page for parish records for this workhouse.
Gilbert's Act of 1782 allowed groups of parishes to set up a common workhouse for the old, the sick and the infirm. This provided a much cheaper procedure than was involved in promoting a Local Act.
Constituent parishes[edit | edit source]
Bircham Newton, Norfolk
Bircham Tofts, Norfolk
Burnham Deepdale, Norfolk
Burnham Norton, Norfolk
Burnham Overy, Norfolk
Burnham Sutton, Norfolk
Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk
Burnham Ulph, Norfolk
Burnham Westgate, Norfolk
East Rudham, Norfolk
Great Bircham, Norfolk
Holme next the Sea, Norfolk
Hunstanton, Norfolk (Old Hunstanton)
North Creake, Norfolk
South Creake, Norfolk
West Rudham, Norfolk
Records[edit | edit source]
Norfolk Record Office, The Archive Centre, Martineau Lane, Norwich NR1 2DQ. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1836-1922, 1925-30); Ledgers (1836-1930, with gaps); Workhouse admissions and discharges (1902-5, 1907-9, 1916-30); Children's Homes admissions and discharges (1915-37); Births (1837-1930); Deaths (1837-1914)
See South Creake, Norfolk for records of the workhouse there.
Records of the Docking Poor Law Union
Date 1836-1948 Norfolk Record Office reference C/GP 4
AdminHistory The union consisted of the following parishes:, Anmer, Bagthorpe, Barmer, Barwick, Bircham Magna, Bircham Newton, Bircham Tofts, Brancaster, Broomsthorpe, Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Norton, Burnham Overy, Burnham Thorpe, Burnham Ulph and Sutton, Burnham Westgate, Choseley, North Creake, South Creake, Dersingham, Docking, Fring, Heacham, Holme next the Sea, Houghton, Hunstanton, Ingoldisthorpe, Great Ringstead, East Rudham, West Rudham, Sedgeford, Shernbourne, Snettisham, Stanhoe, Syderstone, Thornham, Titchwell, Waterden.
Docking Union was formed in 1835. The Union Workhouse was opened in December 1836 at Docking. Docking Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 6 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 4 December 1975 (C/GP 4/38, 40, 42-46, 49-51), 30 June 1971 (C/GP 4/39, 47-48, 53, 55-57, 60, 69-70, 77-79), 3 July 1980 (C/GP 4/92-93), 3 April 1978 (C/GP 4/40a) and on an unknown date.
Copies C/GP 4/2-10, 11 (part only), 67-70, 77-79 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of this body (including administration of Lyde Cottage Docking Children's Home and register of boarded-out children), see C/GC 6. For Docking Union vaccination registers (Burnham District, later Eastern District), 1899-1938, see BR 23/29-33.
Websites[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Docking/Docking.shtml