District of Columbia in the War of 1812
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Introduction[edit | edit source]
During the War of 1812, the District of Columbia furnished 3,374 infantry men, 375 cavalry men, 796 artillery men, and 2 men in miscellaneous troops for a total of 4,547 men.
Explanation of the Major Record Types[edit | edit source]
- Pearson, Thomas A., comp. Genealogical Records of the War of 1812: an Introduction and Selected Bibliography of Materials in the Collection of St. Louis Public Library. (St. Louis, Missouri: St. Louis Public Library, July 2004).
Service Records[edit | edit source]
- A register of officers of the militia of the District of Columbia, 1813 to 1830, is in Record Group 94 of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office in the National Archives.
- General Society of the War of 1812, The Constitution and Register of Membership of the General Society of the War of 1812 to October 1, 1899], (Philadelphia, Dewey and Eakens, Makers (1899). This contains registers for eight states and District of Columbia. Descendant Members of the District of Columbia Society identifies veteran or veteran ancestor by name, his rank, unit in which he served, dates of service, etc., page 189. Family Search. FHL Digital Book
Pension Records[edit | edit source]
- A soldier may have been recorded in district records or in federal records (see US War of 1812 Pension Records).
- Fold3. District of Columbia War of 1812 Pension Files (Free). Alphabetical by surname. Shows the entire pension file for those digitized. Incomplete as of 1 June 2012.
Important National and International Sources[edit | edit source]
- United States in the War of 1812 has lists of records, books, etc. for the United States, not just one state. The federal records are listed here rather than on each state page. Two of the most important are:
- FamilySearch Historical Records Collection On line Database: United States, War of 1812 Index to Pension Application Files, 1812-1910
- FamilySearch Historical Records Collection On line Database: United States, War of 1812 Index to Service Records, 1812-1815
- War of 1812, 1812 to 1815 has lists of general books and documentaries, as well as a list battles with links to web sites about the battles, and other information not tied to one country.
References[edit | edit source]
- Wesley Potter Kremer. 100 Great Battles of the Rebellion;...Also, All the Battles of the Revolution, War of 1812-5, Mexican War, Indian Battles, American-Spanish War, and Naval Battles. (Hoboken, N.J.: s.n., 1906), p. 326. Internet Archive.