Diocese of Winchester
|Diocese of Winchester|
|Bishops Court||Court of the Bishop of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Archives and Local Studies|
Founded in 676, it is one of the oldest and largest of the dioceses in England.
The area of the diocese incorporates:
- the majority of the county of Hampshire (including the city of Southampton), with the following exceptions:
- an area of eastern Dorset
- the Channel Islands (transferred from the Diocese of Coutances in 1569, during the reign of King Henry VIII of England)
The diocese is divided into two Archdeaconries:
- the Archdeaconry of Winchester
- the Archdeaconry of Bournemouth
The Deaneries of Guernsey, Channel Islands Genealogy and Jersey, Channel Islands Genealogy are not part of an Archdeaconry. Due to their distinctive history and separate civil government, they are not subject to the same methods of governance and systems of canon law as the rest of the Church of England.
The Diocese historically covered a much larger area, originally including the greater part of south-eastern England. In the most recent major diocesan boundary changes in 1927, the Archdeaconry of Surrey was removed to form the new Diocese of Guildford, and south-eastern Hampshire and the Isle of Wight to form the Diocese of Portsmouth.