Depwade Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogy
Parishes[edit | edit source]
The union consisted of the following parishes: Alburgh, Norfolk, Ashwellthorpe, Norfolk, Aslacton, Norfolk, Billingford (near Scole), Norfolk, Brockdish, Norfolk, Bunwell, Norfolk, Burston, Norfolk, Carleton Rode, Norfolk, Denton, Norfolk, Dickleburgh, Norfolk with Langmere, Diss, Norfolk, Earsham, Norfolk, Forncett St Mary, Norfolk, Forncett St Peter, Norfolk, Fritton St Catherine, Norfolk, Fundenhall, Norfolk, Gissing, Norfolk, Hapton, Norfolk, Hardwick, Norfolk, Hempnall, Norfolk, Morningthorpe, Norfolk, Moulton St Michael see Great Moulton, Norfolk, Needham, Norfolk, Pulham St Mary Magdalen see Pulham Market, Norfolk, Pulham St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk, Redenhall with Harleston, Norfolk (includes Wortwell), Rushall, Norfolk, Scole, Norfolk with Frenze and Thorpe Parva, Shelton, Norfolk, Shimpling, Norfolk, Starston, Norfolk, Long Stratton St Mary, Norfolk, Long Stratton St Michael, Norfolk, Tacolneston, Norfolk, Tasburgh, Norfolk, Tharston, Norfolk, Thelveton, Norfolk, Thorpe Abbots, Norfolk, Tibenham, Norfolk, Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk, Tivetshall St Mary, Norfolk, Wacton, Norfolk.
Records[edit | edit source]
Depwade Union Workhouse registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Depwade Union Workhouse Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 3
Records of the Depwade Poor Law Union
Extent 236 pieces
Depwade Union was incorporated under the Act of 1834 and the Union Workhouse was built at Pulham St. Mary Magdalen in 1836-1837.
This collection, comprising the union records to 1929, is composed of records from various sources, the Norfolk Social Services Department (two transfers), the Depwade Rural District Council and a deposit by Mills and Reeve, solicitors, of 19 February 1970. Details of these are to be found in accession lists. After 1929 the county council took over responsibility for poor relief and the running of the Pulham Market institution and post-1929 records are listed separately under reference H2. Norfolk Area Health Authority. Some items in the list of later material were partly compiled during the pre-1929 period. Depwade Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 12 in 1930. In 1948 Pulham Market Institution was taken over by the central government and administered as Hill House Hospital Pulham Market.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 28 January 1976 (C/GP 3/15), 17 February 1970 (C/GP 3/48), 3 October 1974 (C/GP 3/214-222), 28 January 1976 (C/GP 3/223-236), 4 October 1979 (C/GP 3/213/7-9), 8 December 1976 (C/GP 3/234-23) and on unknown dates
Copies C/GP 3/1-8, 205 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of this body (including administration of Pulham Market Public Assistance Institution, Long Stratton Children's Home and boarding-out of children, see C/GC 12. For records of this hospital, see H 2.
References[edit | edit source]
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.