Dennington, Suffolk Genealogy
Guide to Dennington, Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
|Brundish : Tannington||Badingham|
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Dennington and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Dennington was in Hoxne district till 1907 at which time it was moved into Hartismere District. In 1907 Hoxne district was abolished. To search an index of Hoxne or Hartismere district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.
While the district had been created in 1837 for the purpose of recording births, deaths , and marriages, the Hundred had been in existence for hundreds of years for administrative, military, and judicial purposes.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Dennington, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (findmypast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Dennington, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The Parish Registers begin in 1570. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are considerable for Dennington. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
Dennington Church of England parish registers are online and cover the period from 1571 to 1900.
Census records[edit | edit source]
There are census records available for Dennington from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Dennington, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Statistical Data Gathered from the Census[edit | edit source]
There is statistical data available for every parish in the census years from 1801 to 1931 on the Histpop - the Online Historical Population Reports (OHPR) website. Refer to the Histpop - Online Historical Population Reports wiki article.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Dennington was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other items.
- National gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Dennington on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Adapted. Date accessed: 14 March 2014.
- William White, 1844, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk pages 454 - 456
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 18 December 2015.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Date accessed: 16 September 2013.