Denmark Census, 1845 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Denmark Census, 1845
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Denmark|
|Map of Denmark, 1793-1970|
|Location of Denmark|
|Title in the Language:||Danmark Folketælling, Dänemark Verzeichniß|
|State Archives of Denmark|
- 1 Why Should I Look at This Collection?
- 2 What is in This Collection?
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 Collection Content
- 5 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 6 What Do I Do Next?
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Why Should I Look at This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an enumeration of all persons in the Kingdom of Denmark on 1 February 1845. If you had an ancestor living in Denmark at this time you should check this census to see where they were living, information about their age, occupation and other members of the family or household.
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is an every-name index to the 1845 census of Denmark. This index was created by MyHeritage from images provided by the National Archives of Denmark. The census was taken on the first of February and includes Denmark, and Schleswig. The enumeration was divided into four sections: Copenhagen city, other cities, rural areas and Schleswig. The enumeration for the areas included in Schleswig was printed in German.
The counties included in the Schleswig section are:
The National Archives of Denmark has cataloged this census with Rentekammeret, Danske Afdeling, Tabelkommissionen (Treasury Department, Danish Division, Statistical Office) as the responsible government office. More information about the records created by this office in connection with this census can be found at the National Archives of Denmark's online catalog, Daisy.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Danish and German. For help reading these records see the following:
- Denmark Handwriting
- Danish Genealogical Word List
- Denmark Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Languages
- Germany Handwriting
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The census forms contain the following information:
|Column Heading (Danish)||Column Heading (German)||Column Heading (English)|
|Byernes eller Stedernes Navne, med Anførsel af Gaarde, Huse, o.s.v.||Nach des Jurisdiktionsbezirks, der Dörfer sowie der dazu gehörigen Wohnstätten||Town's or place's name with reference of farms, houses, etc.|
|Antallet af Familierne i hver Gaard og hvert huus||Anzahl der Familien in jedem Hause und jeder Wohnstelle||Number of familes in each farm and each house.|
|Samtlige Personers Navne i hver Gaard, hvert Huus, hver Familie.||Namen sämtlicher Personen in jedem Hause und jeder Familie||All persons' names in each farm, each house, each family.|
|Enhver Personers Alder, det løbende Alders Aar iberegnet.||Alter jeder Person, das laufende Jahr des Alters eingerechnet||Each person's age, determined according to the current year.|
|Gift, ugift, enkemand eller enke.||Ob verheiratet oder unverheiratet, Witwer oder Witwe||Married, unmarried, widower or widow.|
|Fødestedet nemlig Kiøbstadens og paa Landet, Sognets og Amtets Navn.||Geburtsort||Birthplace namely the city or in the country the parish and county's name|
|Personernes Titel, Embede, Forretning, Haandværk, Næringsvei, Stilling i Familien eller hvad de lever af.||Titel, Amt, Geschäft, Handwerk, Nahrungszweig der Personen und ihre Stellung in der Familie, sowie ob sie ganz oder zum Teil von Almosen leben||Persons' title, office, business, craft, occupation, position in the family or how they are provided for.|
|Af disse varr Forstanden berøvede, fiollede eller afsindige. / Antal / Sygdom mens Varighed||Von dieser waren des Verstandes beraubt, blödsinnig oder wahnsinnig: Anzahl / Dauer der Krankheit||Of these robbed of intelligence, nonsensical or mad / Number / Duration of sickness|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see Denmark, Censuses - FamilySearch Historical Records
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
This collection was published as a DGS browse collection.
|DGS Number||Roll||Volume||Page||County||District||Parish||City||Quarter||First Street|
|103918513||1||Slesvig||Burg||1||Breite Strasse 1|
|103918514||2||Slesvig||Bredsted||Sophie Magdalene kog, Bredsted|
|103918517||5||Slesvig||2 Angler godsdistrikt||Bjerrum (Bargum)|
|103918486||1922||1||1||København||Hofetaten - Militæret||Christiansborg Slot|
|103918488||1924||16||1||København||Rosenborg 2||Gothersgade 113|
|103918490||1926||32||79||København||Øster 3||Hummergade 227|
|103918501||1937||90||203||Odense||Odense||Sankt Knuds landsogn|
|103918505||1941||112||Ribe (Tønder)||Tønder, Højer og Lø||Daler|
|103918509||1945||133||255||Svendborg||Vindinge||Nyborg landsogn (Hjulby)|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The parish where the person lived
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List section to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Folketælling, 1845. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing this Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the information to locate the individual in church records, if appropriate
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Denmark Record Finder to find other records
- People enjoyed a higher level of personal mobility in Denmark than in other countries due to the easier terrain and absence of laws restricting movement. A well-developed system of transportation existed which facilitated moving from one place to another
- Consider alternate spellings for names, such as Peder for Peter, and Maria for Maren. Law regarding surnames were not fully in effect at this time, so the person may be recorded with or without a patronymic surname
- When looking for a person with a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which individual is correct. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to determine which candidate is the correct person. If listed, a personal title may be a clue to property ownership or occupation, either of which might be noted in other records
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible candidates which can then be examined for matches
- Search the records of nearby parishes. While it was uncommon for an individual in this period to move more than about 20 miles from their place of birth, smaller relocations were not uncommon
- Look at the actual image of the record to verify the information found in the online description, if possible
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Denmark.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.