Denmark Census, 1835 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Denmark Census, 1835
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Denmark|
|Map of Denmark, 1793-1970|
|Title in the Language:||Volkszählung Schleswig und Holstein|
|State Archives of Denmark|
- 1 Why Should I Look at This Collection?
- 2 What is in This Collection?
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 Collection Content
- 5 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 6 What Do I Do Next?
- 7 Citing this Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Why Should I Look at This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an enumeration of all persons in the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein on 1 February 1835. If you are looking for an individual that lived in this area on this dateyou should check this census to see where they were living, information about their age, occupation and other members of the family or household.
The National Archives of Denmark has cataloged this census with Rentekammeret Danske Afdeling, Tabelkommissionen (Treasury Department, Danish Division, Statistical Office) as the responsible government office. Their title for this collection is Folketælling 1835, Slesvig. More information about the records created by this office can be found at the National Archives of Denmark's online catalog, Daisy.
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is an every-name index to the 1835 census of Denmark. This index was created by MyHeritage from images provided by the National Archives of Denmark. This census is for the duchies of Schleswig, Holstein and Dithmarschen only. The forms used in this enumeration are in German.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Danish and German. For help reading these records see the following:
- Germany Handwriting
- Denmark Handwriting
- German Genealogical Word List
- Danish Genealogical Word List
- German Language and Languages
- Denmark Language and Languages
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
These census forms contain the following information.
|Name des Jurisdiktionsbezirks der Flecken und Dörfer so wie der dazu gehörigen Wohnstätten||Name of the jurisdiction of the towns and villages, as well as the dwelling-places|
|Namen sämtlicher Personen in jedem Hause und jeder Familie||Names of all persons in each house and family|
|Alter jeder Person, das laufende Jahr des Alters eingerechnet||Age of each person, the current year of age|
|Ob verheiratet oder unverheiratet, Witwer oder Witwe||Whether married or unmarried, widowed or widowed|
|Titel, Amt, Geschäft, Handwerk, Nahrungszweig der Personen und ihre Stellung in der Familie||Title, office, business, craft, livelihood of the person and their position in the family|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see Denmark, Censuses - FamilySearch Historical Records
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
This collection contains a digital browse. Only the DGS numbers are displayed. The following list shows the contents of each of the DGS numbers.
|DGS Number||Roll||Volume||County||District||Parish||City||Quarter||First Street|
|103918456||4||26||1. Angler godsdistrikt||Sandbæk gods||Kappel landsogn|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
You can search the index or view the images. Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The parish where the person lived
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List section to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found Who I was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age given in the record to find an approximate birth year to begin searching church records
- Use the birth year of the oldest child as a starting point to search for the marriage of the parents
- Evaluate the information given in the record. This information may give you new details about the person
- Extract or transcribe the information into your records. If possible, save a copy of the image as well
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Denmark Record Finder to find other records
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Consider alternate spellings for names, such as Peder for Peter, and Maria for Maren
- Law regarding surnames were not fully in effect at this time, so the person may be recorded with or without a patronymic surname
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Denmark.
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.