Delaware Research Tips and Strategies
|Delaware Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Purpose of Research Tips and Strategies Wiki Page
Delaware Research Strategies[edit | edit source]
Below are links to different research strategy pages to help you locate your ancestors in Delaware
- Delaware Online Genealogy Records
- How to find Delaware Birth Records
- How to find Delaware Marriage Records
- How to find Delaware Death Records
Delaware Research Tips[edit | edit source]
These tips will help you as you research your ancestors in Delaware.
- Birth information: Statewide registration of births began in 1861 but was discontinued in 1863. Registration resumed in 1881 and was generally complied with by 1921. A helpful substitute record to find birth information is a death record. However, date and place of birth on a death record is considered secondary information, as it was not recorded at the time of the birth event. The birth information should be corroborated with other substitute records to improve accuracy.
- Finding Parents: The State of Delaware began recording deaths in 1913. They often will list the parents of the deceased and their birth information. Search Delaware death records
- Look in all censuses: Always look for your ancestor in every possible census. There are clues regarding immigration, naturalization, and occupation that can lead to other records. Sometimes parents can be found living with their children later in life. Search U.S. Censuses.
Delaware Record Finder[edit | edit source]
This brief Record Finder is designed to help you determine the best record to search for the type of information you are looking for. It is most helpful for post-1850 research. For a more complete Record Finder, covering additional research needs, see Delaware Record Finder.
|1. What you are looking for:||2. Try these records first:||3. Other useful records|
Further Delaware Research[edit | edit source]
- Remember, for a more complete Record Finder, covering additional research needs, see Delaware Record Finder.
- For online record collections, go to Delaware Online Genealogy Records.
- For more research on Delaware, including research at the county level, visit the Delaware page on the Research Wiki.
- Search all of the Delaware record collections at FamilySearch.