Dekalb Illinois Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location and Map:
- 675 Fox Avenue
- Sycamore, Illinois 60178
- United States
- Location Map
E-mail: IL_Dekalb@familyhistorymail.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
- **The DeKalb Illinois Family History Center is temporarily closed due to Covid-19. At this time we do not have a reopening date.**
- Tues: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Wed: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Thurs: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 2nd and 4th Saturdays: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Closed last two weeks of December
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
The Dekalb Family History Center is a branch of FamilySearch and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
There is no cost to visit and you do not have to be a member of the church to use the resources of the center. Everyone is welcome. There is a charge of $.10 per copy for any copies made.
Our goal is to provide resources to assist you in the research and study of your genealogy and family history by:
· Giving personal one-on-one assistance
· Providing access to genealogical records through the Internet
· Offering free how-to classes (varies by location)
Our center is staffed by volunteers and staff members are not paid for their services.
Our center is a computer-only facility that does not circulate film. We provide free access to subscription genealogy websites and microfilm online.
Periodically throughout the year our Family History Center may offer classes and special seminars.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. The websites include:
- The 19th Century British Library Newspapers digital archive · Alexander Street Press, American Civil War · American Ancestors · Ancestry.com · ArkivDigital Online · FamNet · findmypast · 1911 British Census (accessed through the findmypast website) · Fold3 · Geneanet · Kinpoint Premium · MyHeritage—Library Edition · Newspapers.com · Paper Trail · Puzzilla
- In addition, the FamilySearch Catalog is a catalog of the holdings of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, the central library of FamilySearch which has been gathering genealogical records for over 115 years. Most of those records were recorded onto microfilm or microfiche. Many of these records are now available online to view free of charge at our Family History Center.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
America after 1850
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.