Daresbury, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Daresbury, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
All Saints Daresbury Cheshire
|Type||Ecclesiastical Parish (England)|
|County||Cheshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Runcorn|
|Parish registers: 1617|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
- 6 Charles Dodgson
- 7 Lewis Carroll Interpretation Project
- 8 Bibliography
Parish History[edit | edit source]
DARESBURY, is a chapelry, in the parish and union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester; it is 5½ miles NE from Frodsham. The chapelry consists of the townships of Acton-Grange, Daresbury, Hatton, Keckwick, Moore, Newton-by-Daresbury, Preston-on-the-Hill, and Walton Superior. The chapel, is dedicated to All Saints, and is distant about three miles from the parish church; the parsonage is in Newton-by-Daresbury township.
Daresbury All Saints, an ancient chapelry in Runcorn Ancient Parish, included Acton Grange, Daresbury, Hatton, Keckwick, Moore, Newton by Daresbury, Preston on the Hill, Walton Inferior and Walton Superior. It became a parish in 1880.
It is best known because of its association with Lewis Carroll who is commemorated in its stained glass windows depicting characters from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
In the 12th century a chapelry was founded on the site of the present church as a daughter house of Norton Priory. It was a chapel of ease within the parish of Runcorn. After the Reformation the patronage of the Runcorn parish passed into the hands of Christ Church, Oxford. It is likely that the stone tower was built shortly after this time. Over the years there were frequent disputes between the worshippers at Daresbury and the mother church at Runcorn relating to financial matters.
The existing building, other than the tower, was erected between 1870 and 1872 by Paley and Austin in the Gothic revival style. During the restoration an old rood loft and screen were destroyed. Richards identified this as of "pure Welsh type" and its loss as "nothing short of a major calamity". Daresbury became a parish separate from Runcorn in February 1880. Families who have been associated with the church over the centuries are those of Greenall, Rylands, Chadwick, Heron, Milner, Houghton and Okell. The tower was restored in 1872 by Sir Gilbert Greenall.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Daresbury All Saints chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Daresbury All Saints Chapelry (1600) Online Records|
|FS BT'S||1600-1855|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for Daresbury, Cheshire, 1617-1951 Daresbury is a chapelry in Runcorn parish.
Cheshire Record Office call number: P66/1/1-5, P66/2/1-3, P66/3/1-3, P66/4/1-2.
Cheshire parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Historical Records.
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Early registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, 1617-1812). Baptisms, 1813- Aug 1868.||BRITISH |
2106348 Items 5 - 11
|Baptisms, Feb 1868 -1951. Marriages, 1813-1949. Burials, 1813-1904.||BRITISH |
|Burials, 1904 (from 3 Mar.)-1941.||BRITISH |
2106513 Item 1
Bishop's transcripts for Daresbury, 1600-1855 Early entries in Latin. Daresbury was a chapelry in the parish of Runcorn.
Cheshire Record Office number: EDB 74.
Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s transcripts are available online at FamilySearch Historical Records.
|Bishop's Transcript Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1600, 1824. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1605-1608, 1610-1613, 1617-1618, 1620-1622, 1624-1625, 1628, 1632-1636, 1639-1641, 1665, 1668-1669, 1671-1677, 1681-1683, 1685, 1690-1691, 1693-1701, 1703-1708, 1710-1713, 1715-1721, 1723-1814, 1816-1823.||BRITISH |
1655597 Item 2
|Marriages, 1824-1837. Baptisms, burials, 1824-1855.||BRITISH |
1655598 Item 1
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1671-1900 England, Cheshire Non-conformist Records, 1671-1900 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Runcorn (1837–1974)
- Halton (post 1974)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Darsbury on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848. Date Accessed: 25 Jan 2013
Charles Dodgson[edit | edit source]
From 1827 to 1843 the priest in charge of Daresbury church was Charles Dodgson. In 1832 his third child and first son was born, named Charles Lutwidge, and better known later in life as Lewis Carroll. The vicarage was not then, as it is now, opposite the church but was some distance away in Newton-by-Daresbury near the junction of Morphany Lane and Higher Lane. The churchyard contains a 16th century font in which, amongst many others, Lewis Carroll was baptised
Lewis Carroll Interpretation Project[edit | edit source]
This project is to build a centre to provide information about Lewis Carroll's early years in Daresbury, and his later achievements. In June 2008 the Heritage Lottery Fund awarded a grant of £370,000 towards the project.
"Lewis Carroll Interpretation Project", Inside Halton (Halton Borough Council): 13, December 2008
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Starkey, H. F. (1990), Old Runcorn, Halton: Halton Borough Council
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, p. 34, ISBN 1871731232
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 141–143
Bilsborough, Norman (1983), The Treasures of Cheshire, Manchester: The North West Civic Trust, p. 155, ISBN 0901347353