Cowden, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Cowden, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Cowden St Mary Magdalene Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Sevenoaks|
|Parish registers: 1566|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1714|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
COWDEN (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Seven-Oaks, hundred of Somerden, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 9 miles W from Tonbridge-Wells.
Cowden is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks district of Kent see Cowden Wikipedia
Cowden St Mary Magdalene is an Ancient Parish; although it is in the county of Kent it is a parish in the Diocese of Chichester Sussex see Church website and a parish boundary map may be found at A church near you The parish boundary forms part of the county boundary with neighbouring Lingfield, Surrey Genealogy and East Grinstead, Sussex Genealogy Hartfield, Sussex Genealogy Withyham, Sussex Genealogy
The church of St Mary Magdalene Church Street Cowden has been designated as a grade B listed building British listed building
The Church of the Holy Trinity Cowden Markbeech (Cow Lane Hever Kent) dates from 1852 and has been designated a grade C listed building British listed building The Church of Holy Trinity forms a united benefice with Hever, Kent Genealogy and Four Elms see Markbeech Wikipedia and Four Elms Wikipedia and Benefice website
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
See Sevenoaks Registration District 1837-1941
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Cowden parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|MED = Medway Ancestors - free|
|Cowden Online Parish Records|
|IGI||1719-1763, 1780-1812||1719-1763, 1780-1812|
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- Penshurst Poor Law Union,Kent until 1836
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough.
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 702-710. Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.