Court of the Peculiar of Child's Wickham
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court. Also see "Family History Library Records."
3. Contact or visit the Gloucestershire Record Office (see below address) or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
The Gloucestershire Archives has an online index to wills for 1541-1858 in their Genealogical Database.
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Indexes available at the Family History Library include:
- Dickinson, Michael G. Wills Proved in Gloucestershire Peculiar Courts. Gloucester City Libraries, local history pamphlet no. 2. Gloucester: A.E. Smith, 1960. (FHL book 942.41 P22dm)
- Some Gloucestershire Wills in the British Record Society, Index Library vol. 12 (1895)
- Wills proved in Gloucestershire peculiar courts
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Locations[edit | edit source]
Wills for this court are held at the Gloucestershire Archives.
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Original wills, 1622, 1683-1796
- Administration and inventories, 1683-1817
- Registered wills, 1635-1796
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
This court had jurisdiction solely in the parish of Childs Wickham.
Between 1640 and 1660, probate records may also be found in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.