Court of the Peculiar of Buckingham
Step by Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records Held in This Archive" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3.Index to the probate records for all Buckinghamshire local courts is available through the Buckinghamshire County Council from 1420-1858. The probate records can be purchased online or copies made from #4
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
The Buckinghamshire County Council has a complete index to the Probate Records online pre-1858. Searches can be made by clicking under buy online the wills portion of the website and then at the bottom of the wills page click on Go to service under the shopping basket. Then you can search the Wills Database.
Ancestryinstitution.com and Ancestry.com have the indexes to Probate for the Principal Probate Registry 1858-1966 which is a complete index to probate records for England and Wales for the local and highers courts
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Indexes are included with the original and microfilmed records. The Family History Library also has:
- Index to the wills and administrations of the Peculiar Courts of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire & Oxfordshire, 1550-1858
- Probate records of the Archdeaconry Court of Buckingham 1483-1660 and of the Buckinghamshire peculiars 1420-1660 (includes an index of places)
Records[edit | edit source]
Record Location[edit | edit source]
The original records are deposited at the Centre of Buckinghamshire Studies at Aylesbury. They include:
- Files wills and administration bonds, 1559, 1607-1623, 1674, 1701-1857
- Register copy wills, 1736-1760, 1798-1858 (some filed with those of Aylesbury)
- Administration act books, 1674-1856 (filed with those of the Peculiar Court of Aylesbury, another Lincoln prebend)
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
The records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through family history centers. They include:
- Wills and administrations, 1559-1857
- Wills and administrations, 1624-1858 (those filed with Aylesbury)
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
This court had jurisdiction over the city and parish of Buckingham and its hamlets. It was a Diocese of Lincoln prebend.