Court of the Peculiar of Banwell
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Somersetshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Index[edit | edit source]
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Also try the following indexes at the Family History Library:
Records[edit | edit source]
Important Note:[edit | edit source]
The records of this court, which were deposited at the Probate Registry at Exeter, were destroyed by enemy action during World War II. The following is information on the few records that survive.
Archives Location[edit | edit source]
The surviving original records are deposited at:
Somerset Heritage Centre
Taunton U.K. TA2 6SF
Tel: (0)1823 278805
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Wills 1675-1857
- Administrations, 1674-1852
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has very few original probate records for Somerset on microfilm and none for this court. See also the information found in the article on the Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory).
See the information found in the article on the Court of the Bishop of Bath & Wells (Episcopal Consistory).
The Society of Genealogists in London has copies of published abstracts of wills and other probate documents for Somerset. To see a list of titles, search their library catalogue for the Subject of "Somerset - General:Wills."
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
This was a peculiar probate court for the manor of Banwell. It had jurisdiction over the parish of Banwell only.