Court of the City of Norwich
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records " (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact the Norfolk Record Office and either make a personal visit or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library to view microfilm copies of wills and admons.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online indexes[edit | edit source]
A general will index covering much of the county is available.
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Wills probed in this court can be found on the enrolled deed and are indexed in an appendix in the following publication:
"Wills Preserved among the Norwich Enrolled Deeds" The Index Library volume 69 FHL British book 942 B4b volume 69.
Records[edit | edit source]
Archives Location[edit | edit source]
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
A short calendar of the deeds relating to Norwich enrolled in the court rolls of that city, 1285-1306, 1307-1341
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
Search probate records in the following additional courts when a search in this jurisdiction does not provide the desired will:
- Peculiar Court of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich
- Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich