Court of the Chancellor of the University of Cambridge
Step by Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court. Also see "Family History Library Records."
3. Contact or visit the Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Location[edit | edit source]
- Original wills, 1540-1765, and a few from 1501
- Register copy wills, 1501-1765
- Administration bonds, 1541-1746
- Inventories, 1498-1744, 1761
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Records have been microfilmed and are also available at the Family History Library and through family history centers. They include:
Jurisdiction[edit | edit source]
This court had jurisdiction solely over members of Cambridge University and certain 'privileged' persons connected with the University. It was presided over more often by the Vice-Chancellor and was sometimes referred to as the Court of the Vice-Chancellor.