Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
Step By Step[edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Herefordshire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
Here are some indexes to this courts' wills online.
Printed and Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, Series 5,vol. 4 Index to Wills Proved in the Court of the Bishop of Hereford 1444-1578
Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford 1442-1579, by Stephen J. Kelsey
Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford Before the Commonwealth Period 1601-1656 by Stephen J. Kelsey
Indexes in The Family History Library:
The original and microfilmed records include indexes. The Family History Library has film copies of the following indexes:
- Probate indexes and abstracts, 1670-1858
- Episcopal Consistory Court of the Bishop of Hereford - Calendar of wills, 1700-1802
- Indexes to Original Wills & Administrations
- Index to wills and inventories 1517-1663
- Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford 1442-1579; also in FHL book
- Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford Before the Commonwealth Period 1601-1656; also in FHL book
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Locations[edit | edit source]
Herefordshire Archive Service
Herefordshire Record Office
HEREFORD HR1 2QX
Tel: 44 (0)1432 260750
Fax: 44 (0)1432 260066
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Original Wills 1442-1836
Administrations & Inventories 1662-1735/6
Act Books 1587-1858
Acts of Office 1407-1824
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
This court held jurisdiction over the following parishes: