Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Return to the Wiltshire Probate Records page.
Step By Step [edit | edit source]
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Wiltshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Online Indexes[edit | edit source]
Here are two websites providing online indexes to Wiltshire Wills:
- The Wiltshire County Record Office's online Will Index 1540-1858
- Genuki provides a gateway to these 1000 abstract Wills
Printed and Published Indexes [edit | edit source]
- Calendar of Wills, Acts & Admons 1557-1858
- Index to Wills 1557-1857
- Index to Wills 1557-1799; 1800-1858
- Index Wills at Salisbury 1464-1858
Records[edit | edit source]
Archive Location[edit | edit source]
Wiltshire and Swindon Archives
Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
Wiltshire SN15 3QN
Tel: 44 (0)1249 705500
Fax: 44 (0)1249 705527 Website
Archive Records[edit | edit source]
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Registered Wills 1557-1603; 1659-1662
Original Wills & Administrations & Inventories 1587-1858
Family History Library Records[edit | edit source]
Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Held jurisdictions over most of the northern parishes in Wiltshire except in the smaller or "peculiar" courts. Inhibited triennially by the Consistory Court of Sarum.